Thursday, August 11, 2005

Pale is hip, right?

I'm an avid fan of self-tanner...but for some reason I'm currently whiter than a polar bear. Normally, I'm okay with being tan. Nicole Kidman looks like Caspar, and she's beautiful, right? (Of course, I am no Nicole Kidman. Hmph.) Maybe it's 'cause I'm lazy, maybe it's 'cause...well, I'm lazy...but I haven't been able to bring myself to do the whole regimen—shave, exfoliate, moisturize and self-tan—in weeks. I can do three out of four at any given time, but the whole routine is just overwhelming. What do you want from me? It's August. (My birthday month! Um, not that I'm hinting you should send me gifts or anything.)

When I do occasionally self-tan—usually in months like November or February, when only people who live in California or vacation in St. Barths have actual color—I stick with tried and true favorites: Lancome Flash Bronzer Self-Tanner for Legs (an old boss swears by it, to use all over your body) and L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Gel in Medium/Deep (dries instantly, develops into the perfect, streak-free, you've-obviously-been-at-the-beach-color). Love.

I've heard whisperings that Origins, Philosophy and Fake Bake have excellent self-tanners, too. Maybe someday, eventually, in the future, I will finally get around to trying them. For now, I'm just pretending I don't care that there's a very bright glare reflecting off of my arms and legs.

11 Comments:

Blogger kanashimi blue said...

How do they compare to Jensens? It's winter where I am at the moment and am contemplating a bronzer.

8/12/2005 6:10 AM  
Blogger morgalou said...

One of my girlfriends absolutely swears by FakeBake - she thinks it's the Best Thing Ever. Personally, I think self-tan & I are best kept apart, using chain-link fences and security guards if necessary.

Johnson & Johnson have just launched their "Summer Skin" body lotion here in the UK, which has a smidge of self tanner in it. Gives a lovely glow, but I can't even manage to get that right *sigh, orange knees* - which is why I'm resolutely wearing my jeans right now.

8/12/2005 11:05 AM  
Blogger nita said...

Um, maybe you should go outside. I'm just sayin'...

8/12/2005 12:46 PM  
Blogger latte said...

Origins Faux Glow is great but doesn't smell very yummy

8/14/2005 8:29 PM  
Blogger Cafe Zene said...

I've tried so many self tanners, most of them I despise with passion. Among the very few I still use:
Jungle Bronze self tanner ( I keep drifting back to this every summer - no offensive stench, no tangarine color effect & dries instantly - not a flawless product but close enough.Cons: really needs 2 x applications for the "tanned" look, and you do need to shower the next morning to feel clean again. However, no stained sheets or clothing)
Speaking of stained sheets, couches, clothing & bathroom tiles:
Model Co self tanner! A nightmare in a can! I know there are those who rave about this, but please cover anything under, around and above you when you "mist" this "agent orange". Overpowering coconut stench to begin with (some call it tropical...) and the soon to follow mess all around you. Everything gets "tanned" ! I had to clean my entire bathroom from floor to ceiling! (thank God it came off but you have to be quick before it sets within the tile grout)
The color you get on your skin is a nice deep dark tan in one application. But you will stain everything you come in contact with until you shower, which is best done overnight, or else it'll wash off.
Clarins I can stand if I really have to. the color is ok, scent not that bad (nor good) but at least it doesn't leave your sheets like a "Farrah" body paint "artwork".
My ideal tanner would be a scentless, untinted, super-moisturizing instant drying potion with no streaks and a real tanned shade.

8/15/2005 5:15 AM  
Blogger Cafe Zene said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/15/2005 5:18 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

L'Oreal Sublime Bronze Gel in Medium/Deep is on sale at Target right now- I picked up 2 tubes for about 4$ each and they come w/ a bottle of self-tanner w/ SPF 15 for face and body as well! great deal!

8/15/2005 10:17 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

I've used Estee Lauder to great effect. Also, I've started using Burt's Bees Carrot Day Creme which offers a nice glow (from the carrot), as well. Just be sure to let it soak in for about an hour before you go scratching your face or anything--will come off orange beneath your nails!

8/15/2005 10:56 AM  
Blogger cutiepiebunny said...

Ladies....I've decided to share my secret with you. I am the self-tanning queen. I can't stand being pale...and the tanner has to be great...like no smell, real color...the product I use is soooooo good that last time I was at the dermotologist he told me I have to get out of the sun!!! This has happened a few times, stay tuned I'm just about to give this info up!

8/15/2005 12:28 PM  
Blogger younghelen said...

cutiepiebunny what's your secret????

8/15/2005 3:45 PM  
Blogger Claire Pains said...

I honestly love, love, love Mystic Tan. I am addicted to it and have tracked down every location in town. I don't mind spending the $$ each week for results like this. The results are fabulous and it even looks amazing on the face, which is the part I have the hardest time with in the DIY category. It always dried out my skin or gave it an unpleasant texture (I have nice skin too, so this was a deal-breaker). I tried everything from Neuotrogena, Clarins, Lancome, Estee Lauder, St. Tropez and Chanel. Messy, annoying and too much trouble. Gp Mystic!

8/15/2005 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home