Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Not that I have anything to hide, but...

One of the questions I get asked most frequently is, "Can you recommend a good concealer?" Finding a good concealer borders on the impossible—it's either too cakey, or too thin, too goopy, or too dry. Many beauty editors rave about Laura Mercier Secret Concealer (for undereyes) and Secret Camouflage (for blemishes), but something about their consistencies doesn't do it for me: I find Secret Concealer too hard to blend, and Secret Camouflage too heavy. I often use my Bare Escentuals foundation to hide pigmentation and blemishes by dipping a concealer brush in it, but now that I'm doing the occasional TV segment (wow, that doesn't sound pretentious or anything), I need something more effective at hiding redness and dark circles.

Enter YSL Touche Eclat. If you're a beauty junkie, it won't surprise you that I've turned to Touche Eclat. In fact, you'll probably wonder, "Why the hell didn't you try it earlier?" It's a mystery to me, too, but for some reason I stubbornly resisted. You know how Tom Cruise keeps inexplicably laughing in the face of common sense and good taste, despite all evidence pointing to his carefully crafted public persona shattering to pieces and undoing years of hard work? It's kind of like that. I just thought, "It can't be that good." Oh, how young and foolish I was back then.

Once I finally caved and tried Touche Eclat, I realized what all the fuss was about: it's super light, blends like a dream, can be layered for a lot or a little coverage, and hides even the most stubborn redness. Plus, it has just the faintest hint of something (magic? stardust?) that gives you that perfect, "I'm not wearing any makeup and yes I really do just look this good naturally" radiance.

19 Comments:

Blogger Jenny V said...

Jolie, did you ever try B.E. Bisque for blemishes & under eye circles? I love it. I actually put it on after the foundation, but before warmth. It also serves as a great eyelid base!!

8/02/2005 2:28 PM  
Blogger fabulistaextaordinaire said...

Jolie, Issima by Guerlain concealer is exactly like Touch Eclat, you'll love it as well!

8/02/2005 2:42 PM  
Blogger dcdweller said...

Wow, Jolie, did you have any idea your Brangelina post would generate so many comments?? And I thought I was the only one obsessed with celeb gossip a la Page Six!

8/02/2005 2:55 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Have you tried "Well Rested" by BE? It's a great all-around concealer-type thing. I use it as a shadow base and as a concealer in areas like the redness around my nose, or just dusted over concealer (where the concealer doesn't QUITE make it airbrush-perfect). It's a yellow-toned light beige that works wonders on redness!

8/02/2005 3:00 PM  
Blogger SuzyKelly said...

Estee Lauder is coming out with something new that is like YSL. I have an early release version of it, and I absolutely LOVE IT! Its not creamy and its kinda glossy.

8/02/2005 3:05 PM  
Blogger Claire Pains said...

I really wanted to love this product but it clogged and irritated the skin under my eye just an hour after applying it. I had to exfoliate under my eyes, people! It was awful. And I do not have sensitive skin in the slightest. I use the B.E. foundation under my eyes and around my nose and then the summer bisque concealer over the foundation. yes, I know it sounds backwards but it works. Then, I lightly dust my face with the foundation. Perfect for day. Swear.

8/02/2005 3:29 PM  
Blogger Jenny V said...

Claire pains - I agree. Bisque OVER the B.E. foundation is the trick!!

8/02/2005 3:36 PM  
Blogger its me said...

my mom turned me on to touche eclat in vegas a couple of months ago. good choice!

8/02/2005 3:50 PM  
Blogger jesus loves you and I'm trying said...

I used touche eclat for a year before finding Revlon luminous touch- exactly the same at 1/4 of the cost! Just an FYI

8/02/2005 4:13 PM  
Blogger Jax said...

What about an under eye cream before the concealer? Nothing to heavy or intense...

8/02/2005 6:58 PM  
Blogger Chelsea said...

The amazing sandwich place that I keep raving about is the Crosby Connection (212-677-8444).

Location:
172 Crosby Street (at Bleecker)

Hours:
Mon-Fri, 11 AM- 5 PM
Sat- 12 PM- 6 PM

P.S. I recently tried their "Turkey and Green Apple" sandwich ($5 and no tax) and the "Suzy special," ($6) which were both phenomenal!

8/02/2005 7:35 PM  
Blogger eye4style said...

Touche Eclat is a highlighter, not a concealer...just wanted to warn anyone that might run & buy it based on this review. It does nothing to actually conceal dark circles, etc. Try Cle de Peau.

8/02/2005 9:05 PM  
Blogger inka said...

the only thing what works for me (and on me B-]) is clinique airbrush concealer. it's not brilliant, i admit, but it's great for undereyes.
i've tried so many of concealers. and i must say - you're right - finding the one what makes the trick is almost imposible!

8/03/2005 6:38 AM  
Blogger Snurf said...

You should try SeneGence

http://www.senegence.com/default.aspx?c=US

8/03/2005 10:22 AM  
Blogger dutchgirl said...

What is B.E.? Sorry a little clueless... Is this the stuff that is seen on info-mercials? Does it really work??

8/03/2005 10:29 AM  
Blogger mikaling said...

Clinique Airbrush Concealer is almost the same as the YSL, container and all, but $20 cheaper. I have one in my makeup case and one in my purse. It's perfect for touch-ups.

8/03/2005 12:12 PM  
Blogger kanashimi blue said...

BE=bare essentials

I don't find YSL Touch Eclat pigmented enough to cover my dark circles and the colour choices are inadequate.

8/04/2005 9:08 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

Try mixing a bit of eyecream with your concealer. I love Estee Lauder's Double wear concealer. It stays on so well...

I also like Lancome's photogenic concealer in camee. It is really easy to blend and doesn't sit in lines.

8/08/2005 2:44 PM  
Blogger rlgirl said...

The best concealer is one I found out about on the beauty review site www.palacinka.com. It's from Amazing Cosmetics....you only need the tinest amount for full coverage and the color match is wonderful! I don't use anything else now. It's also very moisturizing so there is no creasing and it lasts all day until you wash it off! You can get it at sephora.com.

8/10/2005 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home