Thursday, August 04, 2005

Flirting With Greatness?

The Daily reports that beauty editors all over town are flipping for Napoleon Perdis, the Australian makeup artist with his own eponymous line of cosmetics. A slew of NP products were sent to me right before I left my last job, and I confess that I only briefly glanced at them, having mounds of other, more advertiser-friendly concealers and foundations to swim through. In the end, I included an attention-worthy Napoleon Perdis primer in the story I was working on, but I haven't tested any of his other products. And now I feel so out of the loop.
Napoleon Dynamite (Fashion Week Daily)

2 Comments:

Blogger cherub said...

don't feel bad. beauty editors are not flipping for napoleon--he just has great PR (hi behrman). he's really weird and freaky and his products are either a) garishly, grossly packaged, b) blatant (BLATANT) rip-offs of other lines or c) both. we were not impressed.

8/04/2005 11:53 PM  
Blogger kanashimi blue said...

You havn't missed anything great Jolie. NP is a bit of joke in the Australian industry with his over-bronzed face/body and 'beard' of a wife. Students who have done his makeup course (yes, he has a makeup college in Australia and it does an excellent job of flogging his products) and met him, report that he is pretty clueless about makeup.

As for his products, he is notorious for rebranding. I personally don't have any problems with rebranding (as lots of other makeup labels do it) but I do take umbrage when you go around telling everyone that you personally formulated and 'invented' the products. For example, check out his eyeshadows. If myself (and thousands of other Australians are not decieved), they are almost identical to La Femme (but for several times more the price). *gasp* So seeing him selling his eyeshadows in high end US department stores is like selling coffee beans back to Brazil.

His primer is very popular. But I think it's no better than Smashbox, Laura Mercier, La Prarie Rose illusion, Stephane Marais or Model Co.

To give the man credit where it's due though, he does hire some excellent marketing gurus.

8/05/2005 12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home