Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Beauty Question: Thinning Hair

I get tons of emails everyday asking for help with beauty dilemmas, so I've decided that I'm going to occasionally post them, in the event that anybody else has similar problems!

S. writes me,
I'm writing you to ask for some hair care advice. I've been dying my hair about six times a year since I was fourteen. I'm twenty eight now. Mathematically that spells disaster for my hair. It's still long...unlike you I don't have the brevity to cut it, though in honesty it really just needs to be chopped to my chin. The ends are fried, split and horribly thin. Worse and far more embarrassing is that it has begun falling out. A lot. Long platinum blond strands continue to fall out everywhere and my hairbrush looks worse than the one that girl holds out in the Garnier Fructis commercial. It's sad. I need a product that will regrow hair. It used to be thick and lovely and now I find myself parting it certain ways to hide ultra-thin areas. I'm turning into The Donald and I'm not even thirty yet. Can you recommend something?
Thanks. S


S,
Honestly, the first step is to get a haircut to remove all of the dead ends. I had a similar dilemma last summer: my hair was several inches past my shoulders and I was obsessed with keeping it long. But after it got fried—thanks random hairstylist, wherever you are!—there wasn't much I could do to salvage it and I was forced to chop it all off. If you are bound and determined to keep your long hair, however, there are definitely some products you could try: namely those by Nioxin and by JF Lazartigue, both of which have cult products designed to help with regrowth that many women swear by. (Try Stimulactine by Lazartigue or Bionutrient Actives Treatment by Nioxin). I also love Appearex vitamins, available at CVS.)

Put hair color plans on hold until you've gotten rid of all the dead bits, and try not to curl it, blow-dry it, or straighten it—air-drying will be your hair's new best friend! Go in for small trims regularly—about every six weeks—to get rid of the dead ends as frequently as you can. It will probably take the better part of a year, but eventually your hair will grow in and recover and the fried hair will be replaced by new, healthy hair. Good luck!

14 Comments:

Blogger Sweetiepie47 said...

I like this type of post! Keep 'em coming!

8/17/2005 8:44 PM  
Blogger Big Red said...

Just as a note. The brittle hair is probably due to the dying, but the hair loss is not. If the hair is falling out from the root, hair color is not the cause. Please please go see a doctor and/or an endo. Hair loss is a sign of something else being wrong. Whether it be hormones (yes, even in your twenties) or stress or or low iron and/or ferretin levels.
My hair loss was a sign of a failing thyroid, for other people it is other things.
Also, when it comes to things like Rogaine and Nioxin please be sure to read the warning labels carefully. They can have side effects.
Also, to help with regrowth and hair strength, look into taking Evening Primrose Oil, MSM, and Biotin. All good things for the hair. Drink lots of water too. Some people swear that cutting excess sugars out of their diets help.
Another cause of hair loss can be any medication you might be taking, inclusive of birth control.
Good luck, and healthy living!

8/19/2005 2:43 AM  
Blogger shimmer said...

lop it off and start over :/

8/19/2005 11:05 AM  
Blogger levere said...

Hello Jolie,

Hmmm...fancy that a search for hair loss women brought me to your blog. Hah! Maybe our stars are aligned tonight :)

May not be the exact infomation on hair loss women ...but am glad to have dropped by. Your post on Beauty Question: Thinning Hair makes an intersting read.
Jolie, keep up the nice work on the blogs. Cheers and all the best!!

10/28/2005 9:43 AM  
Blogger Nuovo111 said...

Hello Jolie,

Hmmm...fancy that a search for hair loss women brought me to your blog. Hah! Maybe our stars are aligned tonight :)

May not be the exact infomation on hair loss women ...but am glad to have dropped by. Your post on Beauty Question: Thinning Hair makes an intersting read.
Jolie, keep up the nice work on the blogs. Cheers and all the best!!

10/31/2005 7:20 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Hi there Jolie. I’m impressed with your Beauty Question: Thinning Hair blog. I happened across you while researching baldness for a new web site I’m putting together at baldness - you make some good points so I carried on reading right through, thanks for that.

11/02/2005 7:16 AM  
Blogger emily from blog articles said...

Hello Jolie,

After reading your blog "Beauty Question: Thinning Hair", I believe you will find my articles on preventing hair loss and other hair loss topics to be helpful.

You are also welcome to post your own articles on hair loss in my free directory ... sharing your knowledge will help others and you also get the benefit of recognition and a valuable backlink to your own blog / site. If you have the time, why not take a look at my articles on hair loss now!

Kind Regards
Emily

11/04/2005 6:48 AM  
Blogger Adele said...

Hi Jolie, your Beauty Question: Thinning Hair blog came up when I was looking for info on hair thinning for a family member. He was impressed with your blog and has started his own site at hair thinning, thanks for the inspiration that you have provided.

11/04/2005 7:08 AM  
Blogger Toni said...

Hi, I was looking though some recommended sites and came across your Beauty Question: Thinning Hair blog. I’m very pleased I did, I found it an interesting read as I’m putting together a site myself at hair thinning for obvious reasons……….lol. I’ve booked marked you so look forward to posting a bit more next visit.

11/04/2005 1:50 PM  
Blogger Toni said...

Hi Jolie, you have an interesting blog here. I’ve been researching for my hair thinning and noticed your Beauty Question: Thinning Hair blog so stopped by looking for some new inspiration on hair thinning. Excellent read, many thanks.

11/05/2005 7:40 AM  
Blogger Adele said...

Hi, just a quick post as I’m short of time but thought I must congratulate you on your interesting Beauty Question: Thinning Hair blog. I’m just finishing of my site hair thinning and hope that it will eventually be as professional as yours. I’m still coming across typo’s I’ve made – I think my spell checker must be faulty……….lol
Anyway Jolie, thanks again and see you again when I’m in less of a rush.

11/07/2005 5:24 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Greetings Jolie from sunny England……..lol. Surfing around I spotted your Beauty Question: Thinning Hair blog, I guessed there would be lot’s to interest me as I’m very interested in hair thinning, and of cause I’m not disappointed – thanks for that.I’m just putting together my own site hair thinning so like a lot of people am quite busy at the moment. See you again!

11/08/2005 9:58 AM  
Blogger Adele said...

Hi, I was looking though some recommended sites and came across your Beauty Question: Thinning Hair blog. I’m very pleased I did, I found it an interesting read as I’m putting together a site myself at going bald for obvious reasons……….lol. I’ve booked marked you so look forward to posting a bit more next visit.

11/09/2005 4:46 AM  
Blogger Toni said...

Hi, I was looking though some recommended sites and came across your Beauty Question: Thinning Hair blog. I’m very pleased I did, I found it an interesting read as I’m putting together a site myself at going bald for obvious reasons……….lol. I’ve booked marked you so look forward to posting a bit more next visit.

11/21/2005 5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home