Monday, August 29, 2005

Beauty Question: Day vs. Night Moisturizers

V. writes,
I can't wait to try some of the lotions and washes you recommended recently. My skin seems to be similar to yours: seriously sensitive, but I still manage to break out--not to mention dry out! I'm always confused as to whether I should be using different products at night. If my day lotion has SPF in it, I don't like to use it at night. Any recommendations? What should a nightly beauty routine consist of?
Hi V.!
The whole SPF/night cream thing is so confusing! Even though there's little, if any, difference between most moisturizers marketed for AM or for PM, I think it just doesn't feel right putting on "night cream" during the day, or SPF-infused moisturizer at night. Regardless, unless you have extra-sensitive skin that gets irritated by sunscreen, it's actually fine to use your day cream at night and vice versa. (So next time you go on a trip and forget a night moisturizer, don't freak out!) Night moisturizers are often slightly heavier and day moisturizers usually have sunscreen, but other than that, they're pretty much indistinguishable. That being said, there are so many excellent night products out there, why not pick one that's going to do something good for your skin? Some of my favorites: ROC Age Diminishing Moisturizing Night Cream, Kinerase, IS Clinical Active Serum, Philosophy Save Me and Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture for Sensitive Skin. These products won't inflame breakout-prone skin, and (except for the ROC and Neutrogena, which are just great, non-oily moisturizers) will even help reduce breakouts, so you won't have to deal with that annoying "Okay, this cream has zapped my zits, but now I'm molting" experience common to so many acne-fighting moisturizers. As far as the general routine, keep it simple: a gentle cleanser followed by moisturizer—and that's it. (Toners are generally a crock of BS, unless you simply enjoy the squeaky-clean feeling. Then, by all means, tone away!)

7 Comments:

Blogger miss said...

in your past post "Beauty Question= "Help Me Fight Blemishes!" " someone replied with a long answer(s) and the only thing i remember is her passionate warning against using under-eye cream with sunblock.

now i'm scared...sunblock can be a BAD thing? Jolie, what's your take on this?

8/29/2005 4:46 PM  
Blogger Marigot said...

I just read that post. I have been using a Clinique eyecream that has spf 15 in it, based on a good review from Instyle mag.
So are eyecreams w/spf a load of bs that can even be harmful?

8/29/2005 6:26 PM  
Blogger Jolie said...

Yes, for the most part, stay away from sunscreen around the eye area; the skin there is extra sensitive and paper-thin, and sunscreen can inflame it, so they say. I've personally never had a bad reaction from sunscreen, and my eyelids have yet to fall-off or puff out, but it can definitely be irritating to your eyes, since the thin skin actually absorbs the SPF. I used to use the Clinique SPF eye cream, and I was a fan—I think it's still one of the only ones (or perhaps *the* only one?) that's deemed "safe" to use.

8/30/2005 2:11 PM  
Blogger Marigot said...

Whew! I have been using the Clinque eyecream for months and even bought a 2nd tube as I'm starting to run out. I've never had any irritation. In fact I had to stop using my previous (popular drug store brand) eye cream because it would migrate into my eyes.

8/30/2005 10:53 PM  
Blogger Acne Cure said...

Hi, Thanks for your interesting blog. I will keep reading.
Please take the time to visit my following blogs about Acne:
proactive acne treatment blog.
best acne treatment blog.
acne scar treatment blog.
laser acne treatment blog.

3/08/2006 9:17 AM  
Blogger SexualEnhance said...

A fantastic blog. Keep it up. I have a site that might be of interested to you if you are seeking zits related items. You can find it here, zits

3/13/2006 3:10 AM  
Blogger Enlargement said...

Hey, you sure got a nice blog here with some very interesting stuff. I've already put a bookmark on it.

It's a pity I spend so much time blog-surfing that I often forget my own. Silly me. :) But its so addictive.

Anyway, a lot of people are trying to make cash online nowadays, so I thought I'd help you out with a site that has some great tools.

clearpores
Not bad to sit around doing nothing while your bank balance keeps growing. :)

3/21/2006 5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home