Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Beauty Follow-up: Day vs. Night Moisturizers

A. writes,
Hi Jolie,
Several of the companies who produce organic skincare (Dr. Hauschka, Jurliqie, the Organic Pharmacy) recommend *not* using creams at night (just cleanse and tone). I've always thought that, well, if they're actually recommending that you buy 50% less of their face cream, how can they be lying? And what is the probability that the other companies *are*? Anyhow, I was just thinking that if you've got skin that breaks out from most beauty products, then giving it a rest during the night might be a good idea? I'm just wondering what your take on this "no cream at night" thing is.
Hi A.,
Thanks for your email! Very, very interesting. I'm sure the companies aren't lying—and I'm a big fan of both Dr. Hauschka and Jurlique!—but I've found that, for me (with skin that starts molting if I don't moisturize it, gets tight when I tone it, but breaks out when my moisturizer is too heavy!), moisturizer is a must and toners simply don't work. In the past, I've tried forgoing moisturizing at night, but my skin feels very tight and quickly gets flaky; when I do moisturize with something light, my skin simply looks and feels better, and I welcome the opportunity to treat it with ingredients like glycolic and retinol that you don't normally find in day creams. The jury's still out on whether toners are necessary or not: some dermatologists recommend them, others think they're a total waste of money. I fall in the latter category, although I am occasionally a fan of the Kiehl's Blue Herbal Astringent in the summer. I think the key is finding the right regimen for you; there really is no one-size-fits-all program, and some complexions can be extremely tempermental and defy normal advice! In general, though, once you find the best formulas for your skin, you can't really go wrong with cleanser + moisturizer, day or night (with SPF during the day, of course!).

5 Comments:

Blogger gossipgirl said...

where can I get these bare essencials you always rave about? I'd love to try them I just don't know where to go!!

8/30/2005 3:26 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Sephora or Sephora.com if you don't live near a location.

8/30/2005 4:38 PM  
Blogger miss said...

i love toner! i love toner!

after over a decade of not using toner (does Sea Breeze count as a toner or a mixed drink?) I started using it again 6 months ago but only from the good Darphin and Kheils variety..

I love the tightness, the coolness, and the extra dirt on my cotton pad.

but does my face feel and look better?... sure!

8/30/2005 5:02 PM  
Blogger gossipgirl said...

thanks gibber, i'm going to have to go after work and pick some up!

8/30/2005 7:04 PM  
Blogger Jenny V said...

I recently switched from Proactive to Jurlique. Proactive was great at first, but I soon became immune to it. Plus, I've heard from many that it's really not good for your skin. So, I am now using Jurlique and I'm loving their products. As for the night cream question, I am quoting an article from the Jurlique news letter:

"While you sleep, your body goes through a natural cleansing and regeneration cycle. If you apply a heavy barrier of night cream on the skin, you interfere with this normal process. Since Jurlique skin care is designed to enhance the skin's natural functioning, the advice for night is slightly different than for day. After cleansing your skin in the evening, use Herbal recovery mist - it is nurturing and allows the skin to breathe. You may want to stop here, but if you wish, you could use a little herbal recovery gel as well".

If you do not use Jurlique's products, then at night time, try cleansing your face with your preferred cleanser and applying a refreshing mist (Evian makes one) afterwards. And then stop there.

If you think about it, this makes total sense!!

8/31/2005 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home