Monday, July 25, 2005

True Beauty Comes From Within...Unless You Apply It With a Brush

One of the oddest things about working in beauty is that many editors don't wear makeup. I've commented on this before, yet the answer to this mystery remains elusive. Fashion editors wear clothes, do they not? Chefs eat. I can only assume that music writers do actually listen to music. And yet, beauty editors soldier on, eyeshadow and foundation-free. If pressed, some makeup-phobes will admit to slapping on a coat of mascara in the morning, and maybe a tiny bit of colorless lipgloss. But blush? Eyeliner? Powder? No, no, no!

What do they have that I do not? Flawless, even-toned, creamy-yet-naturally-golden skin? Probably. Perfectly rosy lips and cheeks? Perhaps. Eyes blessed with enough natural shadow and definition that skipping the liner doesn't result in a look best described as "hospital refugee"? Most definitely. And yet, I still don't really get it. Why strive for just okay, when with a little creative shadowing and NARS Orgasm you can become fabulous? I love my morning mirror time; it's when I get to decide how I'll present myself to the world that day. (Glam? Punk? Schoolgirl? I usually just pick "Well-Rested", but at least makeup gives me the option to be glam, or punk, or schoolgirl.) It's like art, minus the pretention!

I'm no Tammy-Faye, but I do like making the most of what I have. And anything that helps conceal my albino eyelashes and rudolph nose is alright with me.

13 Comments:

Blogger Stroll said...

Isn't the trick to good makeup application making it look like you're not wearing any? ;) Maybe they're just really good at applying it and secretly have thick coat.

Came here via the NY Post -- best of luck to you in your transition or whatever. :)

7/24/2005 11:07 PM  
Blogger Charlotte said...

How ironic, the ones who have access to ALL the best products decide not to use them!

7/25/2005 8:16 AM  
Blogger david said...

Just caught you on MSNBC -- good interview. Best wishes on "Jolie 2.0" following this dust-up!

7/25/2005 10:24 AM  
Blogger Brooks said...

Just watched the MSNBC interview too. Well put. I'd love to see the faces of the people that never ever thought this would become such a big story.

Brooks Blog

7/25/2005 11:54 AM  
Blogger iopine said...

You won't be waiting long for your next gig. I like your writing style (non-elitist) and the sense of your personality that comes through in your posts. It conveys a great feeling of inclusiveness.

7/25/2005 3:20 PM  
Blogger a distant mind said...

I'll have to catch this interview sometime..

7/25/2005 6:03 PM  
Blogger Aja said...

So true.
I used to work as a food broker, and you would be surprised at how few cooks would actually cook for themselves. I think it's just a job hazard.

BTW, your wit, humor, charm, and intelligence was TOTALLY apparent during the interview.
Have you thought about TV for your next gig?

Best of luck to you!
You've got a TON of support.

7/25/2005 6:27 PM  
Blogger DJ Mozy said...

Just watched a clip on the news about you...I ADORE YOU and think you will land an even better position than what ever you had!!!!

7/25/2005 9:02 PM  
Blogger DJ Mozy said...

I just saw the newsclip and thought you deserve better anyways.

7/25/2005 9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. Wow, I hate that you lost your gig. Soundsl like it was a hoot. I teach adjunct college courses before work in the mornings (mass communication) and after work in the evenings (human resources management. I'll certainly have lots of fodder for both. Good luck to you, but it looks like you've got things under control. Your press has been great.

7/25/2005 9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you're right about the make-up thing. What is it with some women in the business anyway. When I watch the Style Network, I've noticed that many of the beauty editors look like unmade beds. Their hair isn't fabulous, their clothes aren't fabulous, their make-up is lousy and their posture is usually poor. Yet, they purport to tell the rest of us how to look and what's hot. Please!

7/25/2005 9:29 PM  
Blogger shimmer said...

but consider, mechanic's cars are the last to be fixed, despite their expertise, doctors make the WORST patients, and quite often nail techs have really shoddy manicures.
no one wants to spend the time on something they spend all day doing. :)

7/27/2005 12:12 PM  
Blogger dys said...

well..that is ironically so true that most beauty editors or those who work in the beauty dept are rarely seen w/ complete makeup..
the way i see it because they're so overwhelmed with all the sample request, the free goodies, the press releases, the interviews, the product launchings etc.. that it arrives at a certain point they have just enough of it..let alone in applying any of those to themselves
cuz i think it also happens to those who work in fashion, where u receive tons of press samples every other day (coach, gucci,choos, hermes,lv bags..u name it all..) u will juz get so overwhelmed that u dont even care to throw them in clear drawstring bags while organizing them n completely forget how expensive they actually are !

7/28/2005 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home