Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Rules for PR people to live by

If you are a public relations person, might I be so kind as to offer one or two words of advice? It'll make everybody happier.

1) Please don't ask permission to send press kits. Just send them.
2) Please don't call and ask to speak with "Shirley" when my name is "Jolie" and I have been the only person at this extention for three years. Shirley hasn't worked here since 2002. Pick up a masthead. They're fairly current.
3) Please don't leave a message asking me to call back to let you know that, yes, I did receive the press release that you randomly sent. If it's really that important to you to verify that I received an unrequested piece of paper, call me back until you reach me.
4) Please tell your bosses to make you stop calling "just to check in". I know you've gotta do it (and I know you'd rather not—I feel your pain!)...but it's still kind of annoying.
5) Please don't call and read something verbatim off a piece of paper. Maybe you're an intern, maybe you're very nervous over the phone, maybe you really are a robot, but at least try to make it sound unrehearsed.

Phew! That wasn't so hard, was it?

2 Comments:

Blogger Divulge the world said...

I have often envisioned myself in that kind of situation. I'm a Professional and Technical Communication major and would LOVE to work for a magazine. Good luck with your current situation and hope the circumstances change for the better :-)

8/01/2005 1:46 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

note taken!
:) We can be annoying I know!

8/03/2005 6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home