Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Pink is the New Black

Today, in a fit of whimsy, it struck me: everything I own is pink. I have a pink Marc Jacobs wallet, three pink purses, three pairs of pink shoes, a pink dress, two pink skirts, a pink Lacoste shirt, endless pink tank tops, a pink iPod...you get the point. Why is this at all noteworthy? Because nearly every single one of these things was given to me. (Dude, I don't buy pink.) In fact, I actually hate pink. But I love getting free things, and I long ago abandoned any pretense of being too cool to wear gifted swag. This is probably because gifted stuff=I don't have to go shopping=a happy Jolie.

The real problem with having all of this stuff you received as gifts is that everybody else has it, too. Try holding on to your pride when you walk into an event to find seven other girls sporting the exact same purse. Most beauty editors adhere to an unbreakable rule: do not wear or carry to an event anything you have been gifted. (Sage advice, but easier said than done, since half the time I end up forgetting it was a gift.) My only salvation: a Very Expensive Bag that I bought years ago as a "Happy Graduation to Me" present. I pull it out on event days, wear it with pride, and silently smirk at the other poor girls who accidentally brought the gift bag. I hope that doesn't make me an asshole.

3 Comments:

Blogger Me!! said...

Misspelled auction search engine. Great bargains to be found

Misspelledauctions.com


Great site -

10/27/2005 1:13 AM  
Blogger WDM Info Services said...

I just searched "blog things" on Google and found your blog.
It is very interesting, keep up the good work.

I think it would be a great asset to my newBlog Directory. Its good for your search rankings and Its free and only takes a few minutes to fill out.

If you like I can add it for you, just visit the site and click the contact button, I don't want to post my email address in your comments, you know how fast spammers pick up stuff like that.

If you could give me a link on your blog to my directory I will give you a featured listing.

William MacDonald
blog things

10/27/2005 3:20 AM  
Blogger tittadigirolamo said...

I was 2 year that a was thinking about a Personal Blog, and now I got it.

10/28/2005 2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home